This year’s Russell McVeagh New Zealand Schools’ Debating Team and NZ Development Team will be taking part in a tournament against two representative Australian teams in Sydney. This tournament is currently scheduled to run from 10-16 February 2014.
The New Zealand Schools’ Debating Council is therefore pleased to invite applications for two positions:
- Coach of the 2013 Russell McVeagh New Zealand Schools Debating Team
- Coach of the 2013 Russell McVeagh New Zealand Schools Debating Development Team
Please share this notice with others who you think may be interested.
Please note that applications will close on Wednesday 15 October at 5pm.
NZ TEAM COACH AND NZ DEVELOPMENT TEAM COACH
Role of the Coaches
The role of the NZ Team Coach and NZ Development Team Coach is to prepare the NZ team and NZ Development team thoroughly for the 2014 International Tour. The coaches are expected to attend the tournament in their respective capacities.
The coaches will be expected to organise (in conjunction with the Council) training sessions for the teams in advance of the tournament, and to run those sessions.
The NZ team manager will assist with organising travel etc, liaising with the teams, and other non-debating matters that arise. The team manager will also act as the key contact point between the Council and the coaches.
The coaches will be expected to travel on the Australian Tour with the NZ Team and NZ Development Team. In the months between the time of appointment and the tournament, the coaches will be expected to make themselves available to coach the teams on mutually acceptable dates for the team members and the coach.
The number and length of training sessions will be agreed between the Council and the coach. Indicative times at this stage are: a weekend in early December, some days in late January, and some days before the tournament starts in Sydney.
The Council will meet the reasonable travel and accommodation costs for the coaches to attend training sessions, if they are not held where the coaches live.
The coaches will be expected to pay a contribution towards the travel costs of sending him or her to on the Australian Tour. This contribution has not yet been set by Council, but will be no more than $800.
If applications are made by a pair of coaches on a co-coach basis, the Council will re-evaluate the contribution of each coach.
The appointment process will be as follows:
1. Applicants need to send:
- a coaching/debating CV;
- a letter which explains why they would like the job, why they would be a good coach for the NZ team and which comments on their strengths as a coach (applicants should feel free to provide as much info as they would like);
- the name of one person who would be happy to be contacted as an oral referee to the President, Desley Horton, by Wednesday October 15 at 5pm. Emails should be sent to[email protected]
2. Council to consider applications and create a shortlist of applicants.
3. Oral referees of shortlisted applicants to be contacted.
4. Council may authorise a sub-committee to conduct an interview with short-listed applicants if deemed necessary.
5. Council to advise applicants of outcomes by the end of October.