The New Zealand Schools’ Debating Council will be sending a team to WSDC in Croatia and Slovenia between 17 – 27 July 2018. The Council is looking for suitably qualified coaches from New Zealand to attend the tournament for its duration.
This year the New Zealand team coaches will also be asked to coach a Development Squad for promising students (Year 12 and below) from late November 2017 to late February 2018.
Council is opening applications for the NZ team coaches for up to 2 coaches. Council will be subsidising each coach so that coaches based in New Zealand will only have to contribute $1000. The subsidy will include flights for WSDC, the registration fee for each coach (which covers accommodation, transportation, attendance at Worlds social events and most meals) and training expenses involved with the NZ Development Squad and NZ Team.
The general requirements of coaching the NZ team is as follows for 2017/2018:
- Training the NZ Development Squad: Coaches will be required to train the NZ Development Squad prior to Regionals 2018. Training the Development Squad will involve a series of workshops held in appropriate regional centres (e.g., Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch/Dunedin). It is expected that these will involve 6 to 8 participants, and be focused on delivery of a structured programme of training in Worlds-style debating. The workshops would need to be conducted from late November to February (e.g., school holidays and Term 1 2018). It is expected there will be between 1 – 2 workshops in each regional centre across the overall time period. Council has a coaching budget available to compensate you for your costs in travelling for coaching.
- Attendance at Nationals in late May (exact dates TBC).
- Attendance at Worlds from 17 – 27 July 2018.
- Training the NZ Team after selection at Nationals 2018: Coaches will be required to train the team prior to WSDC in Croatia and Slovenia. Council has a coaching budget available to compensate you for your costs in travelling for coaching.
As such, if you are interested in applying to coach, please email email@example.com by Sunday 22 October with:
- Whether you are interested in coaching
- Whether you are applying as an individual, have a preference as to who you coach with, or are applying as a combination.
- Anything else you would like us to know in order to inform the decision (e.g. coaching, debating, adjudicating, familiarity with the schools style).
Please also feel free to email with any questions.