The New Zealand Schools’ Debating Council will be sending a team to WSDC in Mexico City, Mexico between Sunday 19 July and Wednesday 29 July. NZSDC is excited to open formal applications to coach the team.
The general requirements of coaching the NZ team is as follows for 2020 are:
- Attendance at Nationals from Friday 22 May to Monday 25 May
- Training the NZ team for at minimum three weekends prior to Worlds.
- Likely attendance at the Vancouver World Schools’ Debating Championships from Saturday 11 July to Thursday 16 July. Attendance at the pre-Worlds tournament will depend on the necessary funding being obtained by Council.
- Attendance at the World Schools’ Debating Championships in Mexico City, Mexico City from Sunday 18 July to Wednesday 29 July
Council is opening applications for the NZ team coaches for up to 2 coaches. Council will be subsidising each coach although the exact subsidy has yet to be determined at this point (although the minimum contribution from each coach will be at least $1,000). This will contribute to the cost of flights for WSDC, the registration fee for each coach (which covers accommodation, transportation, attendance at Worlds social events and most meals), training expenses involved with the NZ Team and any pre WSDC tournaments.
Based on feedback from the 2019 AGM and subsequent community consultation, members of the community will be able to leave feedback on the candidates applying for NZ Team coaching spots. Feedback will be submitted to council via email/google form. It will only be viewed by members involved in selecting – they will be announced at the end of the application period. The nature of feedback will involve relevant experiences with the applicants as coaches/debaters/judges and any other relevant concerns. The feedback will only be viewed by the council members named at the end of the application period. If you have any other questions or would like more information on this feedback process, feel free to contact council to discuss.
- Applications Close – Wednesday 12 February at 6pm
- Applicant Feedback Opens – Wednesday 12 February at 7pm
- Applicant Feedback Closes – Friday 14 February at 6pm
- Coaches Announced by – Sunday 16 February
If you are interested in coaching, please email [email protected] by Sunday 9 February at 6pm with:
- Debating CV (eg. coaching, debating and adjudicating experience, familiarity with the schools style)
- Whether you are applying as an individual, if you are applying as individual whether you would be happy to co-coach if asked to, if you have a preference as to who you coach with or if you are applying as combination and why
- Anything else you would like us to know in order to inform our decision
Applications will be considered by all non-conflicted members of the NZSDC Council Executive. The Executive reserves the right to propose alternations to combinations of candidates.
If you have any questions, please let us know at [email protected].