The New Zealand Schools’ Debating Council is opening applications to apply to be a Regional Team Coach for all of our 12 regional teams.
The general requirements of coaching the teams are as follows:
- Attending the relevant regional competition (see dates: http://www.debating.org.nz/competitions/)
- Training your team: Generally you should aim to train the team for a few weekends between Regionals in March and Nationals in May, but it is at your discretion as to how you arrange this.
- Attending Nationals from the 22 May to 25 May
Applicants may apply by completing the following google form:
Applications close on Sunday 16 February at 12pm and decisions will be announced on Monday 17 February.
Selection of Coaches
Coaching appointments will be made in line with NZSDC’s Coach Selection Policy found here:
Please note that a number of changes have been made to this policy since 2019. In 2020, Council will appoint 4 regional selection panels which will consider applicants wishing to apply as regional coaches.
- Upper North Island Regional Selection Panel – Northland, Auckland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty
- Lower North Island Selection Panel – Hawke’s Bay, Central North Island, Wellington, Kahurangi Marlborough
- Canterbury Selection Panel
- Otago/Southland Selection Panel
All regional selection panel processes will be run simultaneously but independently. In regions where there is more than 1 region being contested, candidates will be asked to indicate which regions they wish to be considered for. They will also be given the opportunity to state and explain the ranked preference of regions for which they wish to be considered.
An applicant can apply as an individual coach, or in a combination with one other applicant.
Where a selection panel has multiple regions under consideration they will appoint coaches with the goal of achieving the strongest possible coaches for all regions under consideration in accordance with the regional preferences of candidates.
Please send any questions to [email protected]