The New Zealand Schools’ Debating Council will be sending a team to VWSDC and a prospective online WSDC.
The general requirements of coaching the NZ Online team is as follows for 2020 are:
- Attendance at the Nationals Online mini-tournament on Saturday 13 June (and any selection discussions on Sunday 14 June).
- Attendance at the online Vancouver World Schools’ Debating Championships from Saturday 11 July to Friday 17 July.
- Attendance at the prospective online World Schools’ Debating Championships preliminary rounds from Friday 17 July to Friday 24 July and break rounds from Saturday 25 July to Thursday 6 August.
Note: The length of the online WSDC is an ongoing discussion amongst the WSDC community. We will update the community on any changes to these dates. Council is happy to discuss availability with applicants given the significant length of both tournaments.
Council is opening applications for the NZ Online Team coaches for up to 2 coaches. Selected coaches are not expected to make any financial contribution.
NZ Team Coaches
The NZ Online Team coaches are being selected separately to the NZ Team coaches attending a potential January/February WSDC or Trans-Tasman mini-tournament. The NZ Team coaches application process will be run once there is more certainty about any prospective international event.
Based on feedback from the 2019 AGM and subsequent community consultation, members of the community will be able to leave feedback on the candidates applying for NZ Online Team coaching spots. Feedback will be submitted to Council via email/google form. It will only be viewed by members involved in selecting – they will be announced at the end of the application period. The nature of feedback will involve relevant experiences with the applicants as coaches/debaters/judges and any other relevant concerns. The feedback will only be viewed by the council members named at the end of the application period. If you have any other questions or would like more information on this feedback process, feel free to contact Council to discuss.
You can find out more about the two competitions here:
- Vancouver World Schools’ Debating Championships – linked here
- Online World Schools’ Debating Championships – linked here
- Applications Close – Friday 22 May at 6pm
- Applicant Feedback Opens – Friday 22 May by 11:59pm
- Applicant Feedback Closes – Sunday 24 May at 12pm
- Coaches Announced by – TBC
If you are interested in coaching, please email [email protected] by Friday 22 May at 6pm with:
- Debating CV (eg. coaching, debating and adjudicating experience, familiarity with the schools style)
- Whether you are applying as an individual, if you are applying as individual whether you would be happy to co-coach if asked to, if you have a preference as to who you coach with or if you are applying as a combination and why
- Anything else you would like us to know in order to inform our decision
Applications will be considered by all non-conflicted members of the NZSDC Council Executive. The Executive reserves the right to propose alterations to combinations of candidates.
If you have any questions, please let us know at [email protected].