NZ Team and Development Squad Coaches 2023 – Applications Open
Applications to coach the 2023 New Zealand Team for in-person Vietnam WSDC are now open. We are looking for experienced coaches who will have availability to coach the team, which will be selected at Nationals at the end of May.
As well as NZ Team coaches, we are looking to appoint coaches for the New Zealand Development Squad, which will attend preparation WSDC format tournaments over summer until the regionals calendar kicks off.
Requirements for NZ Team Coaches
1. Attendance at Vietnam WSDC 2023 from 18-28 July.
2. Coaching the team from their selection at the end of May until the tournament in July.
3. Attendance at a pre-Worlds online tournament. Council will discuss this with the coaches once they are selected in order to pick a tournament that works best for them.
We are seeking 2 – 3 individuals to coach the NZ Team. Applications can be made individually, as a pair, or as a group of 3. Selected coaches may be required to make a small financial contribution towards attendance to the tournament, though subsidies will be made available.
Requirements for NZ Development Squad Coaches
1. Attendance at online WSDC format preparation tournaments.
2. Coaching the development squad from selection until the commencement of the regionals calendar.
We are seeking 2 – 3 individuals to coach the NZ Development Squad. Applications can be made individually, as a pair, or as a group of 3. We would highly encourage candidates interested in coaching the NZ Team to apply to coach the Development Squad, but coaching the Development Squad will not positively or adversely impact NZ Team Coach applications.
As part of the selection process members of the NZSDC community will be able to leave feedback on the candidates applying for NZ Team coach. Feedback will be submitted to council via email and will only be viewed by council members involved in selecting the coaches. The nature of the feedback will involve relevant experiences with the applicants as coaches/debaters/judges and any other relevant concerns.
Application timeline and process
- Applications close – Friday 9 December at 5pm.
- Feedback opens – Friday 9 December at 6pm
- Feedback closes – Monday 12 December at 5pm.
- Coaches announced by end of Tuesday 13 December.
If you are interested in coaching, please email [email protected] by Friday 9 December at 5pm with:
- The position(s) you are applying for
- A Debating CV (eg. Coaching, debating and adjudicating experience, familiarity with the schools style)
- Whether you are applying as an individual, if you have a preference as to who you would like to coach with or if you are applying as a combination and why,
- Anything else you would like us to know in order to inform our decision
Applications will be considered by all non-conflicted members of the NZSDC Council Executive. The Council reserves the right to propose alterations to combinations of candidates.
If you have any questions, please let us know at [email protected].